Panagia Tripiti church

Ιερός Ναός Παναγίας Τρυπητής - Panagia Tripiti

Historical Pilgrimage "Pigi" is known as "PANAGIA TRIPITI" Aegio. A 150 steps stair connects the Holy Pilgrimage to the public road (constructed in 1870 with project engineer Angelos Korizi). There is also a second route from the cypress groves. Once the visitor gets closer to the fringes of the church, observes into a rock a small cave (3 meters long, 2 meters wide and 2 meters height again). The opening is built of stone and has a small door and window. According to tradition there was the hermitage Captain - castaway who found the picture. The marble front of the temple is engraved with the inscription: "ENTER AFTER FEAR OF GOD AND LOVE " to remind pilgrims sanctity of space and their obligation to approach the miraculous icon of the Life Giving Spring with fear of God, faith and love in their hearts . The main cave in front of which was erected the temple has 11 meters length, 7 meters width and a 4 meters height. Over time the first hermitage evolved into a brilliant Monastery. Tradition says that in a hole in the rock, in 1650 AD, one castaway searching for land, saw a light and when approached he found the image of the Virgin (considered painted by Saint Luke). Besides the image of the Virgin, in the church is kept St. George’s icon. This icon, project of an unknown artist, represents Saint George pedestrian and equestrian not as is customary. The church took its present form in the 19th century. By Royal Decree of May 8, 1933, the feast of Our Lady of Trypitis was established as an official religious holiday for Aegio.